Friday, April 9, 2021

Absence by Susan Tepper

Old leaves covering the drains
a question of extinction
should the Spring floods
rise to the second-story level. 
Up there windows confused
slap-dash holes cut
almost an afterthought.
You have already stated 
your claim to remain in place.
I would easily squeeze out 
you are too settled.
I would jump into the first
little boat that came by
engine whizzing
calling out my salvation.
Waving to you, the house,
the buried garden,
feeling the goodbye breeze
against my face as
all will drown in my absence.




Susan Tepper is a twenty year writer in all genres, and the author of nine published books.  Her most recent are CONFESS (a poetry chapbook by Cervena Barva Press, 2020) and a quirky road novel WHAT DRIVES MEN (Wilderness House Press, 2019).  Currently Tepper is in pre-production of an Off-Bdwy play titled THE CROOKED HEART which she based on artist Jackson Pollock’s later years.

www.susantepper.com

No comments:

Post a Comment