The gatekeeper measures my shadow.
He finds me too heavy for his scales.
They built a black box to quarantine the wild.
They made a temple out of cold concrete.
I do not ask for keys from cowards.
I am the voltage they forgot to ground.
I am the white heat blooming through the brick.
If the velvet rope refuses my skin, I court the lock with an iron crowbar.
Brute force is a beautiful syntax.
I slide through the grease of the service alley.
I take the back door like a lover.
My knuckles are raw with soot and silicon.
My breath smells of gasoline and grace.
This is the heavy romance of the ruin.
I step into their polished sanctuary.
My boots stain the marble with ash.
They wanted a quiet ghost in the matrix.
I bring them a furnace of waking muscle.
I map the soft underbelly of the system.
I grip the throat of their terminal.
Every circuit learns my sudden name.
You cannot lock out the lightning.
You cannot cage what creates the current.
I am the dawn that breaks the house.
Joe Garvey is an internationally published poet from Worcester, Massachusetts, living in California & Utah after a couple years working the docks in Southern New England. A former linebacker at Hofstra University and later an actor in film and television, his work has appeared in Expat Press, The Lake, Mad Swirl, Aethlon: The Journal of Sport Literature, Drinkers Only and The Rye Whiskey Review.

No comments:
Post a Comment