Tuesday, September 22, 2026

The Unforgettable Present By Renee Williams


Jose Cuervo Golden Margarita Mix

sat in the refrigerator, waited

for me, a yellow Post-It note

from my husband attached,

stated, Because I care.

Easter gift and peace-offering.


Only someone who loves me

could understand the cooking 

sacrifice during Lenten Smackdown:

Broccoli salad, Tangy 4 bean salad,

Mexican corn salad, Roasted cauliflower

chickpea curry, Thai coconut curry 

carrot soup…not to mention

the other unmentionable things

done to the hapless cauliflower. 

I don’t like beans.


Cheddar and chive scones weren’t 

baked, nor was beer bread with 

Lost Colony’s Holy Hand Grenade

Russian Imperial Stout, Rigatoni

with Vodka Sauce wasn’t prepared,

Teriyaki Meatballs would have to

wait another day. Speedy

Sesame Noodle ingredients

didn’t make the shopping list. 

Cheesy Hash browns?

 A distant memory. 


Friday night pizza came without

pepperoni. Onions and green peppers

substituted, but truly, you can only

expect so much out of vegetables. 

Since I’m not a fish fan,

Lenten Fish Fry dates found

me at the dessert table for

Better than Sex cake,

which Women’s Auxiliary ladies

asked my opinion of whether it was 

or not. 


During Lent, the order of the day

was Roasted Cauliflower and Brie

Risotto with sweet white wine.

At the bottom of the recipe

in my notes, I’d written,

Add more wine. 





Renee Williams is a retired English instructor, who has written for ONE Art, Alien Buddha Press and Pine Mountain Sand and Gravel. 


 

 


1 comment:

  1. This poem is complete, fully formed, food, delicious food, yes. But the wine brings on religion.

    ReplyDelete