Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Ever So Slightly Insane by Dennis Moriarty

I am Charles Bukowski resurrected
And bad
Dylan Thomas on a bender pissed up
And ever so slightly mad.

I hate public school types and the house
Of Windsor
Wouldn’t piss on Boris Johnston if he
Were on fire in the desert.
I loathe country music that’s not played
By Cash
And rap is for fantasist, the would be
Gangsters
Bringing terror to the mean streets
Of their minds.
I have fucked up and spewed up while
Sitting alone drinking neat whiskey,
Listening to gun fighter ballads and old
Prison songs.
Sometimes I’m Keith Richards pilled
To the gills and all coked out.
But mostly I am a bar room poet in a small
Valleys town
Spouting words in exchange for applause.

I am a pissed up old fart, an argumentative
Old pain,
Overwhelmingly fragile, and ever so
Slightly insane.


Dennis Moriarty was born in London, England and now lives in Wales. Married with five grown up offspring Dennis likes walking the dog in the mountains, reading and writing.

In 2017 he won the Blackwater poetry competition and went to county Cork in Ireland to read his work at the international poetry festival. Dennis has had poems featured in many publications including Blue nib, Our poetry archive, Setu bilingual, The passage between and others.


1 comment:

  1. Although born in London, Dennis has obviously drunk from the same bottle as those Warrior Poets of old that Wales is famous for.
    The eloquence of the Welsh has obviously permeated his soul.
    I love his poetry!

    ReplyDelete