Thursday, October 8, 2020

The Last Olive on Earth by Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal

I dreamt I was in a kitchen
where the forks were too small
to impale an olive. How I 
struggled with that olive that
I picked up with my fingers
and ate it up like if it was
the last olive on earth.
The kitchen was small as well.
I could barely make it through 
the door despite my short 
stature. I had to duck my head
and come in sideways with my
belly needing to be tucked in.
The table and chairs were tiny.

The kitchen had the most
flavorful smells of cinnamon,
ginger, and garlic. There was
no sign of food anywhere but
those smells permeated through 
out the room. I ate the olive, which 
was the last olive on earth.





Luis was born in Mexico, lives in California, and works in the mental health field in Los Angeles, CA. His poems have appeared in Ariel Chart, Beatnik Cowboy, Dope Fiend Daily, Unlikely Stories, and Zygote In My Coffee.




No comments:

Post a Comment