Thursday, January 9, 2020

Eurydice 57th Street-Seventh Avenue Nowhere Near Carnegie Hall. By John Greiner



Dead lost and not 
knowing the note 
to be got, they're
the ones that 
always have 
a song to sound, 
if not to sing
on the subway
platform
when the train
is somewhere 
so far beyond
that it's gone
behind the very
thought of time.
The desperation
call to all 
and sundry.
They've got
a movie scenario
of what's to happen 
in their heads,
the well worn play;
the star is born,
found and made icon.
We're a country quick
to take fairytales 
for facts
never having 
heard Philomel's
jug jug call.
I came down
the stairs with no
Orpheus
in my dreams.
I came down 
the stairs with only
the N train on my mind.
and now I've got
another failed 
bossa nova boy
looking to take
me for a ride.
Plug my ears
for the trip 
from Hades to 
all the anywheres;
Brooklyn to Manhattan
to Queens.
If you've got no voice to sing
then I've got no need to hear.
I'm not lost
I just don't know
how I'm going to go.
If you've got
a song, sing it,
don't put on a show.
I know
the notes
and I know
how to hit them.
Orpheus is gone
and the subway train
is so far along
that it's forever behind.
Orpheus is gone.
The air is dead.
I know why he turned around.
I know why I stayed behind.
Orpheus is gone.
I don't need
your off-key melody.







John Greiner is a Pushcart Prize nominated writer living in Queens, NY. He was educated at the New School for Social Research.  Greiner's work has appeared in Sand, Empty Mirror, Sensitive Skin, Unarmed, Street Valueand numerous other magazines. His chapbooks, broadsides and collections of poetry and short stories includeTurnstile Burlesque (Crisis Chronicles Press, 2017), The Laundrymen(Wandering Head Press, 2016), Bodega Roses (Good Cop/Bad Cop Press, 2014),Modulation Age (Wandering Head Press, 2012), Shooting Side Glances(ISMs Press, 2011) and Relics From a Hell’s Kitchen Pawn Shop (Ronin Press, 2010). 

No comments:

Post a Comment